In the second half hour, we’re joined by John Reischman to talk about the new CD from his band, “John Reischman & the Jaybirds: Vintage & Unique.”
In the third half hour, David Peterson joins us to talk about his visit to Guitar Town up in Hamden, CT, on July 26.
Then in the last half hour, we return to our tribute to Kenny Baker.
When I briefly go over a few concert and festival listings, I mention the 25th annual Lowell Folk Festival. It’s FREE. July 29-31 in Lowell, MA. Of interest to Black Diamond Show fans are scheduled performances by Michael Cleveland and Flamekeeper and by the Quebe Sisters Band.
The show is scheduled to re-stream on the WNHU2 stream at www.wnhu.net on Thursday, July 21, from 10pm-midnight EDT.
Hope you get a chance to hear this show! Reischman and Peterson both give fascinating interviews—and you can’t go wrong with Kenny Baker on the fiddle!
Thanks for your support of bluegrass and traditional country music and of WNHU.
Artist / Song / Album / Label / Date / Notes
• Don Stover / Black Diamond / Things in Life / Rounder / 1972 / Theme
• Bill Monroe & His Bluegrass Boys / Uncle Pen / Bean Blossom / Geffen / 1973 / First song in our tribute to Kenny Baker, long-time fiddler with Monroe. Kenny Baker 1926-2011.
• Kenny Baker / Jerusalem Ridge / Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe / County / 1977
• Russell Moore, Dale Ann Bradley, John Miller, Dale Perry, Jesse Brock, Ron Stewart, & Michael Cleveland / Sailing On / Look to the Light: Songs of Faith / Rural Rhythm / 2010
• Kenny Baker & Joe Greene / High Country / High Country / County / 1967, 1968
• Josh Graves & Kenny Baker / Carroll County Blues / The Puritan Sessions / Rebel / 1973, 1989
• Becky Schlegel & Jim Hurst / Extra Blue / I’ll Take Love: Songs from the Pen of Louisa Branscomb / Compass / 2011
• Kenny Baker / Daley’s Reel / Master Fiddler / County / 1970, 1993
• The Nashville Bluegrass Band / When I Get Where I’m Going / Nashville Bluegrass Band: Best of the Sugar Hill Years / Sugar Hill / 1993, 2007
• Josh Graves & Kenny Baker / Snowbird / The Puritan Sessions / Rebel / 1973, 1989
• John Reischman / Interview / Black Diamond Show / WNHU / 2011
• John Reischman & The Jaybirds / The First Whippoorwill / Vintage & Unique / Corvus / 2011
• Butch Baldassari, Robin Bullock, & John Reischman / Little Jacky Wilson / Travellers / Sound Art / 1999
• John Reischman & The Jaybirds / Gabriel’s Call / Vintage & Unique / Corvus / 2011
• John Reischman & The Jaybirds / The Cypress Hills / Vintage & Unique / Corvus / 2011
• David Peterson & 1946 / I’ll Still Write Your Name in the Sand / In the Mountaintops to Roam / self / 2005
• David Peterson / Interview / Black Diamond Show / WNHU / 2011
• David Peterson / Brush Arbor Meeting / Jesus Use Me / Zion Mountain Music / 1996
• David Peterson & 1946 / 1946 / In the Mountaintops to Roam / self / 2005
• David Peterson / Comin’ On Strong / Comin’ On Strong / Necktie / 2009
• The Mayfield Brothers / Pardon My Whiskers While I Kiss You Goodnight / Vintage Recordings 1948-1956 / Patuxnet Music / 1956, 2006
• Bill Monroe & The Bluegrass Boys with Jim and Jesse / I Wonder Where You Are Tonight / Bean Blossom / Geffen / 1973
• Kenny Baker / Gold Rush / Master Fiddler / County / 1970, 1993
• Phil Rosenthal / Down The Road / A Treasury of Bluegrass and Country Songs / American Melody / 2009
• Kenny Baker & Bobby Hicks / Panhandle Country / Darkness on the Delta / County / 1980
• Kenny Baker & Joe Green / Callahan / High Country / County / 1967, 1968
• Josh Graves & Kenny Baker / Deep Elem Blues / Puritan Sessions / Rebel / 1973, 1989
• Kenny Baker / On the Road to Columbus / Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe / County / 1977
• Bill Monroe & The Bluegrass Boys / Uncle Pen / Anthology / MCA / 1972, 2003
• Kenny Baker / First Day In Town / Master Fiddler / County / c. 1972, 1993
• Mark O’Connor with Kenny Baker / Jerusalem Ridge / Heroes / Warner Brothers / 1993 / Ended today’s show with this tune that we all associate with Kenny Baker. This version with Mark O’Connor shows that Baker’s fiddle legacy will continue to live on in future generations.