May 2, 2010

Black Diamond Show Playlist for 5/3/10; WNHU, 88.7 FM, West Haven, CT & www.wnhu.net

I'm expecting May 3 to be a very busy day at work, so I'm posting the playlist the night before the show.

After I got done making the show, I looked back over the play list and saw that over 70% of the songs this week are what I'd consider "Bluegrass"--I think the usual mix is more like 55-60% bluegrass, and 40-45% old-time and old-time country or western swing. But I realized--hey that's OK. Bryan asked me to do a Bluegrass show, so that's what I'm gonna play most of the time! And I think this show is a strong one with lots of variety. We've got brand-new music (a track from the new Willie Nelson CD on Rounder), new bluegrass (e.g., a track from Alecia Nugent's 2009 CD and a track from Sierra Hull's 2008 CD), old bluegrass (the 1955 version of "Feudin' Banjos" that Arthur Smith and Don Reno recorded), and a cross-section of other fun things.

The highlights for me:

  • Blue Highway's extremely tasty version of the old-time modal fiddle tune "Elzic's Farewell"
  • Clayton McMichen & Riley Puckett's original version of "Old Molly Hare"
  • The crowd's reaction to Earl Scruggs playing "The Ballad of Jed Clampett" at a concert in 2007
  • Country Gazette's "Saro Jane," which brings back memories of playing an old record of folk songs when my sibs and I were rugrats--including Saro Jane, naturally!
  • Norman Blake's 1977 version of "Are you from dixie?" (My favorite "cover" of the old Blue Sky Boys song).

Oh heck, I might as well just get to the playlist!

1 Don Stover -- Black Diamond
2 Cherryholmes -- How Long
3 Mac Wiseman, Doc Watson, & Del McCoury -- I'll sail my ship alone
4 Alan Munde -- Leather Britches
5 Steep Canyon Rangers -- I'll be long gone
6 Benton Flippen & The Smokey Valley Boys -- June Apple
7 Willie Nelson -- Freight Train Boogie
8 Blue Highway -- Elzic's Farewell
9 Arthur Smith & Don Reno -- Feudin' Banjos
10 Paul Williams & His Victory Trio -- I'm not afraid to cross the river
11 Buzz Busby & Leon Morris -- Me and the Jukebox
12 Alison Krauss & Union Station -- We Hide and Seek
13 Country Gentlemen -- Cowboys and Indians
14 Alecia Nugent -- Wrecking the Train
15 Reed Island Rounders -- The Rainy Day/Paddy on the Turnpike
16 Norman Blake -- Are you from Dixie?
17 Country Gazette -- Saro Jane
18 Bill Monroe & The Bluegrass Boys -- Highway of Sorrow
19 Steve Martin -- Wally on the Run
20 Don Reno & The Tennessee Cut-Ups -- Riverdale Flash
21 J.D. Crowe & The New South -- Rock Salt and Nails
22 Big Medicine -- The Waves on the Sea
23 Gid Tanner & His Skillet Lickers -- It ain't gonna rain no mo'
24 Hot Rize -- The Man in the Middle
25 Paul Brown -- Shortenin' Bread
26 Jim & Jesse -- My Darling's in Heaven
27 Carl Smith -- If teardrops were pennies
28 Warrior River Boys -- Never Again
29 Delia Bell & Bill Grant -- Don't Let Me Cross Over
30 Sierra Hull & Highway 101 -- If you can tame my heart
31 David Grisman & Tony Rice -- I am a Pilgrim
32 Matt Brown & friends -- Jenny Get Around
33 Clayton McMichen & Riley Puckett -- Old Molly Hare
34 Peter Rowan & Tony Rice -- Sunny Side of the Mountain
35 Earl Scruggs, family & friends -- The Ballad of Jed Clampett
36 The Stanley Brothers -- Wildwood Flower

A note about the May 10 show. Even though it will air the day after Mother's Day, expect a fair number of Momma songs!

The Reed Island Rounders shared some of their CDs with me recently. Thanks, Diane, for your support! And thanks to all of you listeners for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment